1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?I prefer natural fibres, wool, silk, alpaca, soy, bamboo etc but do not have an absolute downer on fancy yarns in small quantities for such things as cuffs on gloves particularly if they are spectacular. I adore multicoloured yarns both bright and muted, Colinette is perhaps my favorite but since I resell it I have plenty. Noro is also wonderful. however I am beginning to value solid colour yarns having realised that having multicoloured everything doesn't suit many people! I have rediscovered lopi yarns which I used to use alot and have started using Debbie bliss Cashmerino and Lambs Pride Worsted both of which I really like. I am open to new ideas here. I also spin so spinning fibres are more than welcome. Just getting into sock knitting too, I have plenty of Opal sock wool but adore stuff like 'Socks that Rock'.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?Mainly vases but I have the fabric and plans to make some needle cases.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?I'm self taught and knitted my first item about 30 years ago but there was a big gap before I took it up again about 4 years ago. I am a competent knitter and happy to adapt patterns and make up my own but there are still lots of techniques I haven't tried.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?On Amazon.co.uk. Amazon.com and Amazon.fr
5. What's your favorite scent?Lavender
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?Chocolate, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Mint Crisp chocolate (not mint cream)
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?I spin, I dye, mess around with beads and cardmaking, stained glass and sewing. Interested in anything crafty.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)I am fully MP3 compliant and like a diverse range of music from Dylan to U2. Female singer-songwriters, Alanis Morissette, Dido, Shawn Colvin. Souxie, the Au Pairs, Ova, Holly Near, Laurie Anderson. Though I could probably do with some education in classical music. I enjoy talking books, the spoken word and nature sounds too.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?Purples, reds, greens, in all their shades. Intense jewel colours of most colours except browns and pure yellow and blue. Grey and black. Quite alot of 'sludgy' colours including browns and yellows. Blues if they are 'off' (towards the purples, greens or greys). There is very little I do not like in the right combination though pastels are not a favorite.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?1 partner, no resident children. 5 much loved cats (4 black, 1 grey) and 2 Angora goats (who give me lovely mohair)
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?Yes to all though ponchos I find difficult to wear.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?Scarves, wraps, fingerless gloves, getting into hats and bags and would like to try more socks.
13. What are you knitting right now?A wrap in 6 Colinette yarns, fingerless gloves in soysilk and an angora bunny to felt.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?Oh yes, my SP8 made me some wonderful socks that I wear all the time, they are my absolute favorites.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?Whatever gets the job done - for gloves and socks bamboo dpns; for large projects addi turbos.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?Yes
17. How old is your oldest UFO?The oldest is about 18 years old and I have them at various ages in between.
18. What is your favorite holiday?I'm looking forward to Easter this year. The return of the sun, everything growing. Winters seem longer the older I get and spring cheers me up.
19. Is there anything that you collect?Besides yarn, fibre and fabrics? Well knitting books I guess.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?I have a subscription to the 2 UK mags 'Simply Knitting' and 'Knitting' but will let them lapse when thay are due as they are uninspiring. I also subscribe to Interweave Knits (which I enjoy) and my sub to Vogue Knittting has lapsed after the winter 2006 issue(which I am sure I would enjoy if it ever arrived) I would have liked to renew it but they keep forgetting to send it and by the time I get it it is months later. I enjoy reading inspiring magazines and would be delighted to receive back issues (even well worn ones) of interesting mags. I am currently coveting the felted clogs (knitted and crocheted) on the Stitch Diva site and Eunny's Anemoi Mittens. I would like to try and get the short Brittany dpns in 4.5mm and 5mm for knitting gloves. I have looked fruitlessly for some short bamboo straights for modular knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?I am trying my hand at a lace shawl. I love how it is turning out but have to concentrate so hard. I have just done the Prudence Mapstone workshop on Bullions and have all her books so want to try something freeform. I adore Debbie News book and want to try labyrinth and virtual knitting. I like to try new and different things.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?Having ventured into the realm of sock knitting I want to build on that. I am a size 5 shoe (UK)
23. When is your birthday?1st April (really!)