Sunday, May 06, 2007

Every Mothers Worst Nightmare

I am sorry to all those I owe emails to and blogs I really want to comment on but this week has been pretty bad. It is going to get better gradually from now on but I will probably still be a bit flakey with the comms (though who knows I may throw myself into it with a frenzy).

My son has been a bit rundown physically and last week went to the doctor with bleeding gums and bruised forearms. He was told to rest and avoid stress. After I and his friends suggested a blood test was really in order he went and had one Thursday. Friday he was in hospital having a bone marrow biopsy and by the evening APL leukaemia had been diagnosed and he was having constant transfusions, drug therapy and chemo. It has been very sudden and thankfully the response has been swift. He tells me the first 48 hours were critical and now he has come through that the treatment is less frenetic.

'Luckily' the type of cancer he has is the most treatable and responds well to drugs and chemo. He was given an 80% - 90% chance at the outset of full remission. Wikipedia gave 90% and as he pointed out to me a vet friend had told him that if he was a dog his chances would be nearer 98% (so he hasn't lost his sense of humour). Which doesn't mean of course that the next few months aren't going to be very tough. He is luckily young, fit and healthy but the treatment is beginning to tire him a lot. The hospital he is in runs research trials on a very promising new drug which he is able to get only because he is there. He feels this is going to up his chances even more. Despite everything he is still very much in 'glass half full mode' and considerate of everyone else around him. His concern for how I am taking it makes me want to cry even more!

At present I am unable to visit him as the persistent cough I had had metamorphosed into a headache and nausea bug doing the rounds and finally became an agonising ear and sinus infection (no doubt the shock helped it along). I have a carrier bag full of medication now from the very sympathetic doctor I saw - both curative and prophylactic so that by the end of the week I hope to travel over and see him and hopefully be clear of everything so that I will be allowed to visit him.

The worst of the shock is over now though of course it is always on my mind and if you are like me you will now want to go and cuddle your loved ones (be it kids, partners, cats, dogs or knitting)

Enjoy every day you have, look after yourselves and I will be in touch soon.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lord!
I'm so sorry to hear your news - I hope everything turns out for the best, thinking of you :-)

12:06 AM  
Blogger janilizi said...

Hoping you will soon be over this virus and can get over to see him - hope his chemo goes well. take care

5:59 AM  
Blogger Papillon girl said...

Positive thoughts and much love to you. Keep strong and draw on all the positive energy around you.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Wye Sue said...

Hope they managed to catch in in good time and the treatment works and is not too horid.
Sending you much love and happy thoughts.

9:44 AM  
Blogger kiki said...

hope everything will go well soon - i´m thinking of you & sending all my power!
hugs...

11:14 AM  
Blogger Nickerjac said...

All I can do is send you one big {{{hug }}}

11:50 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I hope you will get to see him soon. My thoughts will be with you both.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Oh, oh. The tears in my eyes. The hugs I want to give you.

Words aren't enough.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that he has a sense of humor. It helps!

10:58 PM  
Blogger R a i n said...

My prayers are with your son and your family.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home