Sunday, June 17, 2007

Will it ever stop raining?

Call this summer? Well actually I did get a sunburned back last Sunday on a spinning day. We were under an awning outside and I didn't realise my back was in full sun. I am quite dark and rarely burn so I don't pay much attention to such things. It was also the sunniest day in ages and had to be enjoyed. Now I am peeling and shedding skin like a snake (incidentally my chinese horoscope sign).

My son, Conrad, went back into hospital Thursday night had a new central line fitted and has begun his second session of chemo. His partner, Caroline, has external exams in accountancy this week. I have everything crossed for them both.

Caroline is into red at the moment so I thought she might like Amanda's squatty sidekick. It was a relatively quick knit - a couple of evenings. I used Lopi instead of the recommended worsted weight as I wanted the bag to come out bigger and I know lopi felts well. I was captivated by the orange one made by kafn8me and had to make one. Here are shots before and after felting. For scale there is a sheet of A3 paper behind it.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I have also been collecting some stuff together to post on Etsy (but haven't got round to it yet) Firstly some handspun yarn from mohair I clipped from my goats and dyed myself. This is spun without carding just teasing and letting it find its own thickness. It gives a chunky boucle type yarn when plied that is very soft and shiny. Click on the stack to see the other colours.



I have also been dyeing Blue Faced Leicester tops. These are so soft still after dyeing. At the bottom of the stack is a naf photo of some BFL boucle yarn. I have been experimenting with fuschia and orange as my Secret Pal is into them at the moment. I want to try this in self striping sock yarn too. I need to make a long skein for that though (8m)which I do outside BUT IT HAS NOT BEEN DRY ENOUGH!!!!




And I saw a picture of these little darlings in a back issue of Vogue Knitting (I think) and ordered the back issue of Spin Off that they were in (Summer 2006) because I just have to make some. I got the issue this week and have cast on to make one for my pal. They are so cute.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooooh! Your Sidekick came out great! I love the red, and the button is really cute. I'm working on a purple one now. They're a bit addicting since they knit up so quickly.

Sending good thoughts for your son and his partner! I'll be thinking of both of them.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

BFL? Beautiful! Sheepies? Cute as all get out! Purse? Adorable! Conrad and Caroline? Fingers crossed from over the ocean, on my part.

12:48 PM  
Blogger kiki said...

you do so lovely things and i adore everything. i also have to try the bag (just printing the pattern).

all my best wishes for you & your family!
hugs
kiki

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home