Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yet another Competition

Before I tell you about the new competition don't forget to check out my previous post which also has a competition that ends midnight on Halloween.

Firstly I wanted to brag about my wonderful brother in Seattle. He felt that he had been a bit behind in birthday presents lately and asked what I would like. Non knitters are always perplexed when you say yarn but he rose to the challenge.


There are so many nice yarns that are either unobtainable here or much more expensive than in the States. One of these is Lambs Pride Worsted. I paid £5.99 a ball for some at Ally Pally last year, but found a US site selling a few colours at $3 a ball (yes really a mere £1.50). Do check out The Sheep Shed Studio. Well my brother, Gareth, gave me a spending limit to choose stuff then ordered it all and paid the (somewhat high) international shipping charges and I got this wonderful package.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I don't know what was more fun, picking all the stuff I wanted (and I went way over budget) or opening the parcel. It was like getting a present twice. I don't know why people have a downer on giving tokens it is so much fun shopping. Well what about the contents I hear you asking...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lambs Pride Worsted, 9 skeins purple, 7 skeins red and 7 skeins garnet, plenty for 3 jumpers or cardies.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wildefoote sock yarn 3 skeins Blue Blood Red and 10 skeins Tom Cat Grey. (I had hoped this would be the right colour for a Hogwarts jumper but it is marled. Why is school grey such a hard colour to get these days?). I am just swatching the grey at the moment.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Cotton Fleece to try - a skein each of yellow and kelp green.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2lb of superwash roving in saffron yellow. Scrummy.

Also not photoed 2 skeins of 6ply Waverley yarn in Rusty Red which have already become 2 pairs of socks! Definitely recommended for thick socks.

So how lucky am I?

Well it is time to share the love around. Also I feel like Halloween is the spiritual birthday of this blog (Tricot Treat - Trick or Treat, get it?) so here is a little competition.

I am a new sock knitter but even so I have a little stash of sock yarn ready to knit. Apart from the stuff my brother recently sent it all fits in here.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The pins on top are 9 inches long to give you an idea of size. I am not saying how full or empty this basket is but there is some Cherry Tree Hill, some Opal, one skein of Celestial Merino...

So if, before midnight on Halloween, you leave a comment with the closest guess as to the weight of sock yarn in the basket, you get to win something from the basket. Guesses can be in ounces or grams and should not include the weight of the basket. Good Luck.

39 Comments:

Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

I'll say a kilo?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmmm... 1500 grams? Thanks for the link to the place with the Brown Sheep discount yarns!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about 1100 grams? It sounds about right for what I could fit in there without it being too full.

BTW, that is a really cute basket.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Thanks for the contest, I guess 17 ounces.

: )

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is 3000 grams.

12:24 PM  
Blogger spiraling said...

I think 1.8 kilos or 1800 grams.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

I say there are 2800 grams. Have a Happy Hallowe'en!!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2,154 grams :)

2:17 PM  
Blogger KellyK said...

It's all sock yarn, ay? My guess is 4900 grams.

-KellyK on Ravelry

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am gonna go with 900 grams. This one is fun.
Found you through Sock knitters anonymous.
Corirallen

3:37 PM  
Blogger anno said...

1253.5 grams. :)

3:53 PM  
Blogger yvette said...

Oooh, pretty new yarn, getting parcels is so exciting, even if you did choose it.
I think you have 1300g of sock yarn.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great basket! I'd guess you can pack about 1800g.of sock yarn in there (and if more, then you're one lucky knitter with a large sock yarn stash!)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kimara said...

I'm going to guess 2000 grams! thanks for the contest

4:34 PM  
Blogger Redheadskydiver said...

1528 grams, very cute basket!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

1900 kilos.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

How about 2200 grams?

5:38 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I'm guessin' 5 pounds and the online conversion thingy makes that 2267 grams!

6:11 PM  
Blogger CarolineIngrid said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:07 PM  
Blogger CarolineIngrid said...

1450g
What a lovely brother you have!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Jen C said...

my guess is 1400g.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am not going to fall about laughing...you are as bad as I am! The real question is skeined or balled. Now from reading your blog I would say that Opal and Regia are hiding in there, as well as some skeined. If the basket is full of say...half and half...but you didn't jump on the basket to close it...ummm 2.6 kg

9:23 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I am going to guess 1500 grams, I know it's been guessed already.

10:05 PM  
Blogger QueenMeadow said...

Hmm...I'm going to guess 48 ounces.

(found you from ravelry)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Mira said...

Hmmm I'm going for a 3 digit value - 750 grams!

Thanks for hosting the contest!

10:25 PM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

I'll guess 2400 grams.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will say 20 oz. I bet I lose but at least I tried right?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm going to guess... 64 ounces. Love the basket, looking forward to seeing what's inside :)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Dang...how do i convert to metric!!! Lol, I am thinking 8 pounds in non metric....what a sweet brother. Iam just across the water from him and there are a ton of great knit stores over his side...but for a non knitter, he would be lost. I get overwhelmed!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about 3128 grams?

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll go for 1950 grams.

/purplish on Ravelry

12:08 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I'll guess 57 1/2 oz.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thirteen pounds!

3:20 PM  
Blogger mogs said...

2,479g

12:09 AM  
Blogger R a i n said...

Here's my guess.... 700g!

Thanks for the cool competition.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Bets said...

These are fun, how about 2295 grams? :)

5:09 PM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

i'm going to say 600 grams, since you are a new sock knitter and maybe you're just getting started with stashing?

9:18 PM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

I can't even see the basket (the pic isn't loading tonite) so I'll come back to visit again. X

competition ay? What a good idea. And my birthday is coming up soon...

3:03 AM  
Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Ah, now I see it (or rather don't - as the lid is closed!). I was going to guess 1900g but that one is gone, so I'll go up and guess 2200g. What a lot of socks.

Thanks for dropping by my blog! Always good to see you...

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home