Saturday, February 03, 2007

Burning Down the House

I'm a bit late with January photos for the Snap a Dozen Days

I thought I would use as the theme of my photos for the year our efforts at renovating our house and surroundings.

Well you all know I live in a yurt, but do you know why?

Answer - because it is more comfortable than our house. I don't think I have ever shown pictures before. So maybe it is time. There are 2 buildings currently standing (2 others have nearly disappeared). This is one half of the main one. The goats currently shelter here.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the other half of it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the other building the end of which fell down about 10 years ago (close to where the small yurt is).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Keith put in a septic tank last year which has nothing to connect to yet but apart from that we have made little progress on the buildings, more on the land.

Since it is a part time activity and we are fairly comfortable as is it may go slowly. On verra.


This is the end of the first building where I will be clearing ivy.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Inside there is literally a carpet of undergrowth to be removed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We've started removing the roof and the rotting timbers are doing sterling service as firewood.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

See how the fleece on the goats is growing, looks like there will be plenty for me by early summer. (All that washing - Sigh)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 Comments:

Blogger TutleyMutley said...

HOw fantastic - you are living out all my fantasies, Maylin!
I've got a book on how to build a yurt. Another fantasy! Though I have high hopes that if I started it, dh (who is very talented at these type of things) would actually finish it!
Have you plans for your new, more permanent dwelling? Or are you just going to build on and around the old shell?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG, I thought we were living basically, I take my hat off to you!
I'd love to see the inside of one of the yurts?!
I know from theory yurts are good in the winter, but how do you find it in practise?
I have lots of recipes for preserving fruit and veg if you are interested.
Judy

9:57 PM  
Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

So very pretty, but WOW, looks like a lot of work..!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Every time you post pictures like that, I start researching plane fare to come and visit you! I 'specially love the last one, with the goats peeking around at you. Thank you for sharing these!

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your home looks lovely!
i hope we will be able to buy ourselves a small little house soon and start making a real home!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, the above comment is from me, myra, your old SP8

/m

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home